Followers

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Auld Lang Syne

Robert Burns brought the song Auld Lang Syne into the public eye back in the 18th century--  I had to google it  today to jog my memory as I couldn't exactly put my finger on what the phrase originally signified.  "The good old days" is pretty much the modern interpretation.  It has Scottish roots and the song was normally sung right after the toll of midnight on the new year. I think Guy Lombardo popularized it here in the states. It was a toast to all things cherished in the past, to old friends and nostalgic thoughts of long ago.

So...ta ta  2010!  That was fast.  I was just getting used to you and now I have to file you away back in the good old days section of the cerebellum or wherever memories are stored.  I was comfortable with you, 2010.  A lot of good things came and went during the months from January to December.  You weren't perfect, I guess,  but I liked you!

Which brings me to 2011.
Well, it has been two days and so far so good.
It might be a magical year.  New vistas.
Maybe it will be a year of disciplined achievements or marked changes.
I pray for peace again this year, my recurring theme.
I ask that my friends and family have good health and happy hearts.
I know two things for certain about 2011.  These things never change.
I will be grateful---for I am so blessed.
And we are all connected--no matter how separate we may feel.

So to Auld Lang Syne, my dears.  Happy 2011!
I'll keep you posted as things develop.

No comments: